I personally worked on continuing attempts to convert useful model objects into something we could use either in OpenGL and/or Blender. The following is the documentation of some of those efforts and a brief explaination of what DID work.
After spending hours creating the 'perfect' terrain in terragen and exporting
it to an object file. I converted it to OpenGL (c++) using 3dWin4. However,
all attempts to run this application were thwarted by the fact the we had
over 50,000 vertices and for some reason they would not. I decided to move
on to another terrain generation app and thought it would be good to find
something that would model plantlife as well.
I didn't have much problem creating a sample terrain and a tree in Bryce,
(though Bryce has on of the clunkiest interfaces I've ever used). However,
it only exports terrain and not into any useful format. No help here.
Creating a custom terrain in Blender became an option at this point. It
was made more attractive by the fact that there was a built-in game engine
we could use to take care of some of our issues. We did aready have excellent
water effects going in OpenGL, this was the cause of our split. We have
some nice looking terrain on the blender side and basically made use of
plains in OpenGL.
Our attempts to model trees by had or code were fairly pathetic, so we
continued our efforts to find a decent method or conversion tool that would
allow us to use existing models. We found some free models we really liked
at 3dcafe.com. They were
in 3D Studio Max format, so we searched and finally fouind a conversion
tool that would export to VRML 2.0 (which Blender imports fairly well).
The tool is AccuTrans3D ($20, but has a free 30 day trial). The trees you
see in our final blender renders and web game came from this method.
We never finished a good plant model in OpenGL.
After several attempts to create a good cabin model in OpenGL and attempting to import a decent one, we had to shift our focus to completing the terrain we had started.